Friday, January 14, 2005

Reading, language acquisition and exams

An e-mail I sent to Kay inspired me to blog about language acquisition and reading. Although I am using English fairly regularly I would like to do something more for it to get better. I haven't spoken it for two years now and there's not much I can do here, other than getting headphones and starting to use skype (which may be a good idea, anyone using skype willing to chat wit me - sorry - help me get my English better?).

But I would also work on my other skills. I am mainly reading crap these days. I mean of course I'm only doing it to work on my English, but still. I read and forget. Maybe a nice Read-A-Long would help? When I can read and then discuss the books? I used to really enjoy it at school, so it might be worth researching.... Anyone having hints, where to find nice read-a-longs? I know there was one on the Threads board, but it seems to be silent now...

Except for that I would be grateful for any tips and hints as to what I could be reading. Generally I like romances, mysteries, good fantasy, good s-f. I hate horrors and really scary books. I know very little about contemporary English literature and would like to get to know more. I enjoy Danielle Steel and Nora Roberts, Terry Prattchet and Isaac Asimov, but I have a feeling that there might be more ;) Anyone feeling like writing a couple of workds about their favorite authors/books/series?

As for exams, my schedule is: Jan 22, Jan 29, Feb 12. I really need to get working.

6 Comments:

Blogger Annette said...

Here's a few suggestions, Gosia :)

Fantasy:

Anne MacCaffrey - Dragonriders of Pern series
Terry Goodkind - Sword of Truth Series
Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time Series
Anne Bishop - Black Jewels Trilogy

Mystery:

JD Robb - "In Death" series (this is Nora Roberts)
Dan Brown - Angels & Demons or The DaVinci Code
Rex Stout - Nero Wolfe Series

Romance/Fantasy:

Diana Gabaldon - The Outlander Series (You will LOVE this one!)

If you need assistance in determining first books or where to start, just post on the Rotation BB or email me :)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hadn't even realised English wasn't your first language lol. You write perfect English. I cannot speak or write any other languages apart from my own even though I had French lessons at school. I was terrible at it!
Karen F
www.foliagecorner.co.uk/default.htm/

12:02 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Diane Mott Davidson writes some fun mysteries about a caterer who always seems to be in the middle of crimes.

1:47 PM  
Blogger KarenV said...

Gosia, try the Stitching Readers board.

People often post recommendations and there's loads of different forums, including a ReadAlong one. There's also BookBlog - they do regular RALs on there.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Gosia,

I wish I lived in Berlin, because I would happy to speak English with you all you want... ;) If I am ever up there (or you are down here) for a visit, we should get together for a coffee.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Rita Mae Brown's Six of One is still one of my favorite books! Otherwise I really like John Irving, Margaret Atwood, Fay Weldon, Paul Auster, Annie Proulx and AS Byatt, though they are mostly American/Canadian rather than English. Have you read Monica Ferris' Crewel World? This is the first mystery in a series about a needleworkshop owner.

Karin

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home