Monday, April 18, 2005

Sunday

We decided to celebrate my birthday on Sunday and we did. DH baked a cake before I got up so I got a piece for breakfest :) Then we played with DD a bit and put her to nap a bit earlier.

Then we went to the part of Berlin we used to live before. It's called Friedrichshein and it's very cool. I miss it very much, but it's not a place I would choose to bring up a child in. There are mainly students and yuppies living there, even though there are many children born in the last years. There are lots of bars, small restaurants, small cinemas located inside tenant houses, Internet cafés, eco shops, shops with weird things you would never see anywhere else. In the house where we lived a new shop opened and it sells only licorice! How cool is that? I can really imagine going back there when DD is bigger.

We also went to see the local park, but it was so incredibly overcrowded with people playing sports on the grass, having BBQs, playing guitars. Actually it was too much (the weather was great) so we just went walking in the streets, breething in the atmosphere, looking for shops and bars we know and for people we know. It was very cool, and we walked for over 3 hours there. Not enough for my liking, but we got hungry. We definitely need to go there more often, it's only like 40 minutes away from us.

I chose to have steaks as my birthday dinner and definitely the best ones in Germany are made by Block House. It's a chain and I know two in Berlin and they are both great. I find they are way better then Maredo or any other chain or non-chain steak house (Renée, a hint here!). I had French onion soup (DH had Ungarian goulasch soup) and American tenderloin steak which was really splendid. Block House is expensive and it always has been but the steaks are poetry :) DD behaved nicely and suprised us with loving garlic bread LOL. She has unusual taste for a 18-month-old. Loves Chinese, pierogis, now garlic bread. Now wonder she's not very find of the run-of-the-mill, bland baby food LOL. No, I'm not feeding her that really, she just sometimes gets bites from our plates, but is really crazy about real food. She can eat up to 8 pierogis!!! And normally 14 are too much for me LOL!

We walked to Alexanderplatz from Block House, which was another 45 minutes walking and was cool as well, because you walk on the Karl-Marx-Alle, which was built in communist realistic style. I believe only one street in Moscow is more pompous than Karl-Marx-Alle :) . The houses are being renovated and it's definitely worth seeing, if you ever visit Berlin. I am happy to see more and more life in this street. In August, there's a Beer Festival on this street and it's so cool. Imagine hundreds of booths with even more sorts of German, European and all over the world beer. Maybe we'll go this year, if we can afford a babysitter.

And tomorrow my diet begins (today I ate quite well, except that I still had cake from yesterday).

6 Comments:

Blogger Mia said...

Gosia, your bday celebration sounds wonderful. I am so happy you had such a great day. You deserve it. The town you visited sounds divine. I love people-watching as I call it and walking the streets looking in shops and whatnot.

And, my DH is very happy I went with his choice of cake. LOL I talked to a mom this afternoon and she was just getting a supermarket one, too. The people in this new town I live in have no idea what a celebration cake is like. I am so luck I was raised in an Italian/Polish household. Oh and I love pierogi. They are my favorite thing to eat besides babka.

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good birthday, Gosia! Your birthday meal sounded delicious :)

Karen V

11:14 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

It sounds like you had a great birthday, Gosia! I'm glad to hear it. Perogies are awesome (my mom makes the best) and sometimes nothing is better than a good steak dinner.

11:48 PM  
Blogger Isabelle said...

Oh what a wonderful day you had for your birthday! It's so good to hear how splendid a day you had. :D

Good luck on the diet! I think you've chosen the is the perfect time of the year to start one! Usually one gets less hungry in spring and summer than in the winter; and hey, summer will be soon there and you want to wear those pretty, sexy clothes right? ;-D I always find that a great motivation to lose weight!

Hugs!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Yum, cake for breakfast! I was watching a show called Passport to Europe on the Travel Channel recently and they were in Berlin. I think I remember seeing some of the places you are writing about. Reading all these international blogs makes me want to travel even more!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous anneke said...

Hi Gosia, it's a bit late, but congratulations on your birthday! You had a great time with DH and DD. I have never been to Berlin, I think it's much bigger than I would guess.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home