Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Time for SBQ

And three times SBQ now, because I've been bad with keeping up recently.

Do you "stitch with the seasons?" (This could be reflected by the colors that you stitch with, the themes that you choose, or even that during your favorite season you stitch more (or less) than in others.)
I think seasons definitely have some influence on my stitching. I usually only feel like stitching Christmas projects, once the summer is over. I'm not a very flowery person, but I would love to stitch some pansies now (preferably those by Der feine Faden, that Renée and Susie are stitching together). I don't think that my choice of colours really changes, as most of my WIPs are quite large and usually take at least several months to get finished. But also the amount of stitching varies with the seasons. Of course there are obvious phases, when the exams take place at school in Jan/Feb and June, when I have less stitching time, but I usually tend to stitch more during the autumn and winter. Nice weather in spring and summer makes me spend more time outside. Last summer I went on holiday for 4 weeks with my Mom and DD and didn't even pull out my stitching. I hope this year my decrease will be less dramatic, because I want to finish several pieces this year.

What is your next specialty stitch?
I don't really know. I have started Jeanette Douglas Pacific Rim sampler and I know there are some specialty stitches, but I'm not sure which. I think my next one, I haven't tried yet, will be the darning stitch on the top of the sampler. Also Watergarden has a number of specialty stitches.
I can't think of anything I haven't tried yet and would like to try soon. I have done a nice number of them stitching Heirloom Christmas Sampler, also did some Hardanger. There are some techniques I would like to learn, but I won't start anything really new in the next time, as it would be too overwhelming.

How has your stitching evolved since you first started stitching?
Of course it has, I think almost every stitcher evolves over the time. I started stitching in 2001, with some freebies from the Internet. I also started a Rico tablecloth, that I messed a bit. I was not very sure what to do with the finished freebie pieces, so I joined SOLAK, the most wonderful charity stitching group of ladies I've ever seen. There my stitching evloved even more, I got some British stitching magazines and got myslef a subscribtion, discovered new freebie sites. I also bought some German booklets, mainly Rico with children's motives. I moved on from Aida to evenweave, because of a SAL at SOLAK (I stitched the Dutch bear from Vermillion website). I think at the end of 2003, I still haven't finished even one piece for myself, everything went to SOLAK. I had a couple of pieces started that were intended for our home, but none of them were finished.
In 2003 I got pregnant and started a birth sampler for my DD. Unfortunately it has become an UFO (I am going to pick it up again, though). I promised my DH, though, that I will stitch a couple of things for ourselves, but my nausea was too disturbing and I didn't stitch at all till the end of the year.
My true stitching began again in 2004 with 8 SOLAK squares and an intention to get more things done for home. In spring I found the BBs and got enabled full time. I finished two of my UFOs from earlier, decided to toss a couple of other pieces that didn't look right, got a wonderful floss fairy who sent me a complete set of DMC. I started a couple of new projects, kitted up several other and have been extending my stitching experience since then.
Of course my taste has changed a lot as well. Instead of just stitching cute cartoons, I like samplers, traditional looking designs, complicated TW pieces, fantasy stuff, Chatelaine, animals, ladies, etc.
I don't expect such dramatic changes any more in my stitching career, but I will be happy to extend my abilities to some new areas and get to know more designs and designers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Hi Gosia!
Thanks for the lovely comment on my Petal Fairy :-) Do you happen to have any progress pictures of Pacific Rim Sampler yet? I am dying to see how you are doing with that one :-)

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home